December 2012 has been particularly rough on me. December is usually rough enough; this time of the year make me miss my mom more than the rest. I have also been dealing with the loss of my grandmother, Mama, and it was weird not having her around for the usual holiday cheer. The holidays seemed to sort of pass away on a grey palette rather than their normal riot of color. My birthday is also in December and this year it depressed me to not have reached some of my goals before another year ticked off on my life.
But, December is passing away, we only have a day and a half left of it here. I am starting to feel hopeful again. (Despair may have won for a while there…) I can tell I am more hopeful, because I am writing again. I am working on those last little shining bits of novel-1 and am hoping to get it to beta readers in early 2013. It is my hope to get their feedback before I take another pass on the novel and shine it up into its Sunday clothes and bring it out into the world. (By which I mean, submitting to agents…which is admittedly a little scary for me to think about.)
I’m not too big on New Year’s resolutions since everyone seems to make them and break them. However, I really like goals. So here are some goals for 2013 (in no particular order):
- Get novel-1 to beta readers
- Write a complete first draft of novel-1’s sequel. NaNo novel 2011 is an incomplete draft of this book.
- Research agents
- Write log-line for novel-1
- Write query letter for novel-1
- Send query letter to agents in batches
- Try not to gain 30 pounds whilst querying agents.
- Finish NaNoWriMo 2012 novel
- Figure out novel-1’s genre – It takes place in a mix of the real world that has magic and a pseudo-high fantasy realm. Urban fantasy? High fantasy? I’m not 100% certain. I’m pretty sure it isn’t paranormal.
- Outline the second sequel to novel-1. Yay for trilogies. 🙂
- Keep up Yoga practice
- Write daily!
©K. Klein 2012